HOWTO: Fix “Keyword title is not registered” error in Joomla 3.0

If you’re working with Joomla using an HTML5 template and you try and validate your site using the W3C Markup Validation Service, you may find yourself hit with the following validation error:

*Line 7, Column 44*: **Bad value title for attribute name on element meta: Keyword title is not registered.**
  <meta name="title" content="Who We Are" />
Syntax of metadata name:
A metadata name listed in the HTML specification or listed in the WHATWG wiki. You can register metadata names on the WHATWG wiki yourself.

The title meta keyword is a carryover from older versions of Joomla (pre-HTML5), back when the HTML specification did not restrict meta keywords as they do now. While it’s true that the error notice provides instructions on how to register a metadata name yourself, there is a quick fix that gets your site to validate and avoids involvement in deliberations over an emerging spec, and it can be applied without modifying Joomla core files.

To fix the error, simply add the following line to the opening PHP code block in your template’s index.php, right before the closing tag:

// remove "title" metadata keyword because it breaks HTML5 validation
$doc->setMetaData('title', FALSE);

This line simply unsets the keyword so that the meta tag will not be rendered by the template engine. It assumes that your template code has already set the $doc variable using JFactory::getDocument(). If your Document object is assigned to a different variable, use that instead.

7 Comments

• Alendorff says:

But how can I fix this error using joomla 2.5? I got error: PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function setMetaData() on a non-object in /…/templates/theme760/index.php

• Amor says:

When I add the above code to my index.php, I get a blank screen! I am using Joomla 3.3.3. Can you please elaborate more on where exactly we need to add the above line in index.php?

Thank you!

• Nick Bair says:

You want to modify {joomla root}/templates/{template name}/index.php and place this line at the end of the PHP code block at the top of the file.

I believe the title meta tag issue has been resolved in 3.3.3. Are you sure you even need this?

• Amor says:

Thank you Nick for your quick response! I agree with you about the title meta tag issue being resolved in Joomla 3 but I am still getting the same error!

I have tried the code and now I am receiving the following message:

Line 3, Column 33: Non-space character in page trailer. $doc->setMetaData(‘title’, FALSE);

Thank you!

• DP says:

I had to use $this in my template instead of $doc. See if you see similar function calls with using $this in your template. (J2.5)

• aditya says:

hey, thanks for the help!

• Hi Admin , Thanks For This Informative Post , Would You Like To Tell Me That How To Fix These “Not Registered” Errors in Blogger’s Blog ? My Blog is This : Please Reply Me As Soon As Possible :) Thanks !