Categories
Administration Development Software

Displaying PHP errors with Xdebug in Ubuntu Server

Ubuntu Server packages are generally pretty well-configured right out of the box–usually requiring little or no configuration for simple operation. It’s one of the reasons why, despite my preference toward Arch Linux for the desktop, I’ve long advocated Ubuntu as a great starting point for a LAMP development server. Yet, on occasion, a package ships with a configuration that needs some work in order to be useful. Xdebug is such a package.

Xdebug’s most immediately helpful feature is the display of stack traces for all PHP errors. (Actually, it does a whole lot more than that, but that’s beyond the scope of this post.) Stack traces appear in place of the ordinary PHP error notices, so they require that the PHP config option **display_errors** is enabled. But Ubuntu disables this option by default.

This is actually a sane default, because error notices may potentially expose security holes or other sensitive data, and thus should be suppressed in production environments. But installing Xdebug implies that the target is a development and/or testing environment (for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is Xdebug’s non-trivial processing overhead). So it makes sense that display_errors should be enabled.

This is a simple fix. Edit */etc/php5/apache2/php.ini*, locate the **display_errors** option, and change its value from **Off** to **On**. The final result should look like this:

display_errors = On

Alternatively, you can add that line to the end of the Xdebug config file located in */etc/php5/conf.d/*. This allows you to enable/disable the display of errors at the same time as you enable/disable the Xdebug module. (This can be done by invoking either of the provided scripts **php5enmod** and **php5dismod** and reloading Apache.)

I have filed [a bug report]( https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xdebug/+bug/1096464) to notify the devs about this issue. I hope this post and an eventual bug fix will save other folks some frustration.

Categories
Software

MP3 Encoding Support in Ubuntu 11.04

Today I went to copy my music library from Banshee to an old iPod mini. I found out the hard way that the Ubuntu 11.04 upgrade tool uninstalls the necessary programs for MP3 encoding support, causing Banshee to fill my iPod with WAV files.

This is most likely a [philosophical decision](http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/our-philosophy “Our philosophy | Ubuntu”) stemming from the ongoing debate between [open-source pragmatists and free software idealists](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_movement#Criticism_and_controversy “Free software movement – Wikipedia”). We won’t get into that here, but assuming you *do* want MP3 support, it’s a simple fix:

# apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Once this package is istalled, restart Banshee and it should automatically encode to MP3 without changing any settings.

Don’t get me wrong–I admire the idealists, but I also want to fit more than 20 songs on my iPod.